Re: [techs] Fasttrack Tests #116 and #117

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:27:58 -0500
To: chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca
Cc: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org
Tests #116 and #117
116 - B (bold) element is not used
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test116.html

117 - I (italic) element is not used
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test117.html

conflict with one of our  HTML techniques. The HTML Techniques document
states:
<htmltechniques quote>
Avoid using the following HTML elements, and use the appropriate CSS
instead.
tt
big
small
strike
font
basefont
These elements are not prohibited, but it is recommended to either use
other semantic elements or use CSS when feasible. Refer to discussion at
Strongly emphasizing semantics.
</htmltechniques quote>

There is also a technique specifically about emphasis which DOES agree
<i> so perhaps there isn't an issue with the tests but with consistency in
the Techniques document.

Thus one of our techniques say to avoid using <b> and <i> and use CSS but
and <em> instead.

Also, I think the success examples may be misleading.  Generally the
browsers italicize <em> and bold <strong> but the success examples show
using either <em> or <strong> to replace the offending tag.  Is this what
we really want?

-becky

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect