Re: [techs] Fasttrack Tests - #57

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:02:44 -0500
To: chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca
Cc: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Regarding
57 - INPUT, type of "text", has an explicit label
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test57.html

I have some concerns about requiring the <label> tag to have the for
attribute to tie it to the <input> field.  This seems like an "until user
agents" requirement since HTML specifies that the <label> tag can wrap the
<input> field.  While screen readers work better with the explicit linking
of the <input> field to the <label> I don't think the screen reader
implementation should force our tests - the screen readers should follow
the spec and support both techniques.

Also, the text in the procedure text is backwards:
The INPUT element has a FOR attribute value that matches the ID attribute
value of a LABEL element.

should be:
The LABEL element has a FOR attribute value that matches the ID attribute
value of a INPUT element.

I hate to argue against what is a good practice, good test and recommended
procedure but have concerns with letting screen reader behavior dictate
our tests.  Home Page Reader now supports <labels> that wrap <input>
fields and I think the latest version of JAWS may, as well.
-becky

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect

IBM Emerging Internet Technologies