Propose closing Issues 734 and 739

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:41:19 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I would like to propose closing Bugzilla issues #734[1] and #739[2]
relating to the CSS technique concerning color.  The original technique
recommended using numeric color values rather than color names when
specifying colors. There has been a significant amount of discussion about
whether or not this is an accessibility issue or not do to varying support
for color names in browsers.   I did some investigating of color name
support in some screen readers and browsers and found that most support
the full 140 color names specified in CSS 3[3] as well as numeric color
values.   CSS technique 7.1[4] has been updated to state:

Use CSS color keywords or a numerical hex value to specify colors.

And now includes User Agent specific information about support of colors
by JAWS and WindowEyes.   While the technique is somewhat ambiguous - you
need to use color names or numeric values (although the technique favors
numerical hex values over decimal rgb values)- I think it is worth keeping
since the additional User Agent information is helpful.

I propose adding additional, general browser information to the User Agent
section of this technique and closing issues #734 and #739:
When using color names, use only those from the x11 color names list in
the CSS3 Color Module spec[3]  or the basic 16 HTML 4 [5] color values.
Using numeric color values generally provides the best support across user

The alternate option is to close the issues AND remove the CSS technique
since it is more informational than a specific requirement.

Are there objections to closing the issues and keeping the technique?

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect
IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
5 Technology Park Drive