RE: Google and Yahoo both indexing video captions

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:25:05 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

First, this is more a thread for the WAI-IG list than the -GL.

> We might cite them as examples??

Of what?

Indexed captions aren't solving an accessibility problem for people with
disabilities. You couldn't even argue that deaf-blind people are getting
much out of it given the tiny snippets available.

I caution the Working Group to stay on-topic. Corollary uses of adaptive
technology or accessibility features are not really relevant to our work
in creating WCAG 2. Wheelchair ramps may be nice and convenient for adults
pushing strollers, but that's not why we put them there, and in a
discussion of wheelchair accessibility, strollers are irrelevant.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
       --This.