RE: Alt Text Exclusions

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:22:19 -0600
To: "Jim Thatcher" <jim@jimthatcher.com>, "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Chris Ridpath wrote:

We could also exclude the words "submit" and "button" on INPUT elements
that have a type of "image". It's already explicit in the HTML code that
the this is a submit button so the Alt text should contain other
information.
Jim Thatcher responded:
<JT>I think this is an error. The alt-text is in input with
type="image". The alt text is the only way text is associated with the
image button - and that might well be "submit" but probably not
"button". </JT>

But some AT identifies buttons as well.  I know JAWS does (and has for
al ong time), and I'm pretty sure Home Page Reader does.  Does anyone
know whether Window-Eyes, HAL, and other screen readers report that
buttons are buttons?

John

Jim