RE: ALT and TITLE Clarification

From: Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:40:29 -0600
To: "'Chris Ridpath'" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "'WAI WCAG List'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>

Hi Chris,

Whew ... That was an "interesting" excursion! Here are a couple of minor
suggestions on the current proposal.

IMG element (not used as an anchor)

1) Alt text must be the empty string ("") if image is decorative <JT>or
conveys no information. (Somehow a "spacer image doesn't seem decorative to
me.) </JT>

3) Alt text must contain any text in the image unless the text is
decorative. e.g image of blocks on http://www.btyahoo.com/internet <JT>or
the text in the image is otherwise available (in longdesc or in page
content).<JT>

IMG element (used within an anchor)

1) I think same changes as as in 1 above - but not 3 - for image links, the
text can't be elsewhere!

Should we require that Alt text be empty if anchor contains both image and
text? <JT>Probably so, but I am not certain.</JT>

1) Alt text must describe the purpose of the <JT>image button</JT>. e.g.
"search" or "find" <JT>or "cancel"</JT>.

Jim

Accessibility Consulting: http://jimthatcher.com/
512-306-0931