Re: ALT and TITLE Clarification

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:10:51 -0500
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Cc: WAI WCAG List <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>> The HTML 4.01 recommendation includes:
>>> you need to provide a description with ALT
>
> Do we not concur that the word "description" is very misleading if not
> out-and-out wrong?
> How about getting this fixed?
> Is this corrected with XHTML1?

Chris's proposal would make the word "description" here more accurate.
I'm not sure that description is the right word for what alt should
contain.

> The image (in this example) contains graphical text, but said text is
> almost verbatim in the body.  I agree that CSS would be the any
> excellent solution, perhaps the best.  I agree that, in this specific
> case, that alt="" would be better than repeating the graphical text.
> However, the image is quite prominent, and if a sighted person someone
> were on the phone with me (and we are discussing the site), they might
> well say something like, "you know, the page with the building blocks
> on it".  The screen reader user is potentially disadvantaged is such
> an obvious visual feature is deliberately obscured from them.  I would
> make the case for compromise alt content like "building blocks".

And I wouldn't disagree with the argument you just made or quibble
about "building blocks".  Seeing null alt or "building blocks" wouldn't
raise to the threshold of being worth making a fuss over.  Repeating
all of the text in the image is another thing altogether.

AWK

--
Andrew Kirkpatrick
WGBH National Center for Accessible Media