Re: ALT and TITLE Clarification

> We need a comprehensive proposal that addresses all of the element types
> that support ALT and TITLE.

The scope of this proposal covers the 4 elements that can contain an ALT
attribute:
IMG, INPUT, AREA and APPLET

The proposal also applies to the A (anchor) element when it contains an IMG
element.

Rules for *all* Alt text:

1) Alt text must be a short description of the image
2) Any text in image must also be in Alt text
3) If image is decorative then Alt text is empty string ("")

Rules for TITLE attribute:

IMG element (not used as an anchor)
- TITLE attribute must be empty

IMG element (used within an anchor)
- IMG TITLE attribute must be empty
- A (anchor) TITLE attribute describes link destination

INPUT element (with TYPE of "image")
- TITLE attribute describes purpose of form (e.g. search or find)

AREA element
- TITLE attribute describes link destination

APPLET element
- deprecated so ignore

The purpose of this proposal is to simplify the use of Alt text and make it
easier for assistive technologies to find meaning in HTML markup. In the
past, we've used Alt text for several purposes which has caused confusion
for both authors and readers. It would be easier for everyone if Alt text
was used for only one purpose and we used the TITLE attribute for other
purposes.

Note: "decorative" as used here means "non-text content that does not
provide information, functionality, sensory experience and is neither
multimedia nor time-dependent interactive content" (text from guideline 1.1
SC 5)

Note: Alt text as used here means the value of the ALT attribute.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris