RE: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

From: Neil Whiteley <neil.whiteley@tag2.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:42:15 +0100
To: "'Jason White'" <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi Jason,

<Jason>
To the contrary, you could take one of the HTML 4 DTD's, add the extensions
and validate against it. You wouldn't even have to publish it in order to
meet a validity requirement; you would just have to create it and then
validate the document instances.
</Jason>

I'm not sure that I see the need to meet validity requirements via the back
door when XHTML (in whatever flavour) is available legitimately.

Besides which, WCAG 1.0[1] states *published* formal grammars as the
requirement. I don't see the same in the draft of WCAG 2.0[2] but I'm sure
that this must be an *oversight* that will be fixed in the next draft!!!!

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-identify-grammar
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#use-spec

Regards

Neil Whiteley