  From: John M Slatin
  To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 7:58 PM
  Subject: [Techniques] 3.1 and cascading dictionaries

  As gregg has noted, some of the success criteria for Guideline 3.1 assume
the availability of cascading dictionaries.

  There is a site called OneLook that may meet this need. It claims to index
over 6 million words in over 900 dictionaries.  It can be customized in
various ways.  They also provide several mechanisms for linking to the
service, including a bookmark link that prompts for the search term and HTML
code that can be freely incorporated into any page, and modified to match
the look and feel of the page into which it's incorporated. It's also
possible to constrain the search to a specific dictionary.

  http://www.onelook.com/

  I entered the word "polyglot" into the search form, and OneLook found 21
dictionaries that contain English definitions of the word. When I told it to
look for translations it found 9 translating dictionaries that contained
translations. When I told it to search all dictionaries it reported 31
dictionaries that contained definitions of the word.  (When I searched for
the word "file," OneLook found 94 dictionaries containing definitions,
including English-Italian and Italian-English [see Michelle's message about
the complications of this word in Italian text]).

  One of the dictionaries listed is the CMU Pronouncing Dictionary, which
can also be downlodaed via anonymous ftp. This is described as a
machine-readable pronouncing dictionary for North American English that
contains over 125,000 words. There are 39 phonemes. (Great for North
American English! But I'm not sure about pronunciation for other languages.)

  John

  "Good design is accessible design."
  Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
  Accessibility Institute