RE: Gudeline 2.5 Level 3 SC work item

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:42:28 +1100
To: Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

John M Slatin writes:

 > <proposed>
 > When user input is limited to a set of known choices that can be
 > provided without risking security or purpose, choices can be selected
 > from a list.
 >
 > When user input is limited to aset that contains more than 75 choices,
 > choices may be selected from a list or entered by the user.
 > </proposed>

I have concerns which apply as much to the original proposal as to
John's rewrite. Suppose I am creating an XForm and want the user to
select an item from a long (more than 75 item) list. I implement this
as a select1 form control.

Due to the abstract nature of XForms form controls, a user agent could
implement this as a menu or as a text entry option (a more accessible
user agent could implement the "more than 75 item" rule itself). Now
if I don't assume that user agents will present the SELECT1 in a
manner appropriate to the user, I have to duplicate its functionality
with a redundant text entry field, which defeats the purpose of XForms
of abstracting structure from presentation. If I can assume
appropriate u a implementation, then I've met the requirement.

The problem with this proposal is that it assumes the decision whether
a list of choices is presented as a menu or a text input option, is
under the control of the author, even though it is a matter that can
be better accommodated by user agents.

I have a strong suspicion that separating content guidelines from user
agent guidelines is a fundamental mistake.