RE: Summay of feedback on Guideline 2.5 proposals

Andi wrote:

> Level 3 Success Criteria for Guideline 2.5
>
> 1. Where text entry is required for which there is a known
> set of less than
> 75 valid choices, and they can be provided without
> jeopardizing security or purpose, users are allowed to select
> from a list of options as well as to type the data directly.

I would like to make the success criterion for this more general, for
example:
"Where user input is required for which there is a known set of valid
choices, present these choices to the user unless doing so jeopardizes
security or the purpose of the content."

We could then explain in the techniques documents how to do this, for
example:
* If there are two choices that are opposites of each other, use a checkbox
* For small numbers of mutually exclusive choices, use radiobuttons
* For small numbers of overlapping choices, use checkboxes
* For large numbers of mutually exclusive choices, use a combobox
* Otherwise, allow the users to type in their choice(s) in a text box but
provide a link to a list of the known valid choices.

I would also like a new level 3 success criterium for guideline 2.5:

<success criterium>
* Inform the users about the desired input, for example by giving examples
of correct input or giving information about the required format.
</succes criterium>

<examples>
A search engine that provides links to examples of queries and operators
that can be used to formulate the queries.

In a form, there is a text box to indicate the start year for a search. Next
to the text box, it says "for example: 1990" which informs the user a
4-digit year is required.

In a form, there is a text box for "birthday". Next to this text box is the
text "(MM-DD-YYYY)" to indicate the format in which the date should be
entered.
</examples>

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands