User agent vs Server

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:40:20 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
There has been some discussion as to whether a transcoding server is a User
Agent - or a server technology.

I would suggest that it can be either.  I would suggest we categorize them
as follows.

-          if the author provides it or it is a choice from their website
(to have material run through a transcoder whether local or remote) then it
would be a server side technology

-          if the user selects to use a transcoder (other than one provided
or suggested by the author) then it would be a user agent (since it is an
agent chosen by the user and which the author has no knowledge of in
advance.)

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/