OnActivate Re: Scripting Techniques first draft

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Tom Wright wrote:

>I don't think we should be promoting onactivate. It is part of the IE
>Dom and poorly supported besides which onclick is device independent in
>most browsers now (Bug 490 - 16.3 of HTML Techniques).

It is also part of SVG [1] and an Activate event is defined in DOM 2 Events
[2] as a UI event (which is therefore inherited by languages such as SMIL
2...)

Xforms uses and XHTML 2 is likely to use XML events [3] which introduces a
different model although it requires bindings for the mouse events and the UI
events specified in DOM 2 events - in other words an onActivate or equivalent
(Xforms allows the more powerful declarative building of actions that XML
Events was written to permit).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG10/script.html#OnActivateEventAttribute
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html#Events-eventgroupings
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-events

So I think that the examples should be checked to make sure they are valid
code according to a published specification (same for all the examples), but
I don't see the reason not to use things that exist, especially that were
included for accessibility reasons...

cheers

Chaals