Re: Guideline 2.4 success criteria concerning title

From: Wendy Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:57:14 -0400
To: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hello Sailesh,

Sailesh Panchang wrote:

> Insert L2 criteria:  document or page or frames have titles (currently
> L3 should be L2). An Modify
> L3 criteria to say identify lists, forms, tables, and other elements
> with title or caption. I can live with
> this at L3 but would prefer this to be  L2.

"title" is an HTML attribute and "caption" is an HTML element. Can you
propose a more general success criterion?  Do you think the HTML
techniques adquately cover these issues? If not, please propose what to add.

> Rationale: Need to distinguish title for page and frame  from title on
> other elements.
> Page titles and frame titles  are essential for getting oriented and
> should at least be L2. Titles /
> captions on lists, forms, and tables etc.  facilitate moving around
> and identifying the required one.As
> an example, if there are five tables with captions on a page, I can
> quickly move between tables
> identifying the desired one based on the caption read by JAWS. Win
> Eyes reads title on form
> elements and that helps to navigate to  the required form when there
> are multiple forms on a page.
> (of course title on lists and forms need to be more widely supported
> by browsers / AT)

HTML 4.01 requires every page to have a title [1] and WCAG 2.0 Guideline
4.1 Level 1 criterion [2] says use technology according to
specification, therefore title for a page is a Level 1 for HTML.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.2
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#use-spec

--
wendy a chisholm