Re: [#899] Separate links with printable characters

From: Gez Lemon <gl@juicystudio.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:26:14 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi Becky,

> Home Page Reader does not say the work link but it uses
> a different voice (as both JAWS and WindowEyes can do).
> Is this the issue?  If so, Home Page Reader can be modified
> to say "link" before each link if that is desired.  Also, if the
> user switches into link reading mode, each link is navigated to
> and read separately.

The different voice for links is the issue I was referring to. I shouldn't have been so assertive in my statement about Home Page Reader, as I wasn't aware that it could be modified to say "link" before each link item.

I still maintain that adjacent links that happen to appear on a line break (a link on one line, and a completely different link on the next) is impossible to determine without further inspection such as navigating to the links with a keyboard, or hovering over the link with a mouse, unless you happening to be using an assistive device which will expose the links for you. Because of the number of variables in output, it would be impossible for a content developer to ascertain for definite that two adjacent links would not occur at a line break in free flowing text, so I would like to see this guideline kept in WCAG 2.

Best regards,

Gez

Supplement your vitamins
Web: http://www.juicystudio.com