Best practices in online captioning

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:14:28 -0400
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The better part of a year in the making, and created in conjunction
with the TILE project <http://barrierfree.ca/tile/>, I've written 21
chapters on the topic of best practices in online captioning:

<http://joeclark.org/access/captioning/bpoc/?WAI>

Of particular interest is the list of every known method of using
<embed> and/or <object> with valid code:

<http://joeclark.org/access/captioning/bpoc/embed-object.html?WAI>

We may see additions to and deletions from that list. Ideally it
should be on a wiki somewhere, perhaps. If you get one of those
methods to work or break under a certain environment, do let me know.

These files have been ready for a while, but there was some question
as to their ultimate home. I have decided to cut bait rather than
fish and am posting them myself. There are a lot of things I couldn't
get done on that project, so there's room for a version 2.0. Also, I
had to do another round of fixes to character encoding and
validation, so if anything pops up invalid, let me know there, too
(though I triple-checked).

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post