Re: CSS generated content

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:48:26 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Perhaps a better approach would be to change the CSS spec so that
> generated semantic content would not be allowed

That is, "perhaps a better approach would be to change the CSS spec to
eliminate something we didn't have in 1999." No, thanks. Browsers use CSS.
Eventually they'll use CSS3 (even if IE/Win won't). This is something to
be applauded.

I don't see this as even being in the same galaxy as other good reasons to
update the CSS spec. (One good example was deprecating "aural" CSS, since
it was a lousy idea that never worked or was reasonably implemented
anyway.) CSS generated content is a *good* idea. You really can't use it
for anything substantial, you know.

> and user style sheets would rule better- and keep the CSS spec
> simpler to only deal with styling.

User stylesheets always "rule"; they're last in the cascade (even after a
browser's internal CSS).

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post