RE: WCAG WG discussion of "authored unit"

Hello Wendy,

Thanks for the pointer to the discussions on authored units.

Rotan has, in his usual eloquent style, described the thinking behind DIWG's views on resources, URIs and authored units.

Perhaps I could add a few comments on the origins of the term within DIWG which
may help explain our thinking. After this description, I'll attempt to
define what I see as the difference between the DIWG definition and your
proposal.

The needs of device independence have an influence on the way people think about
the relationship between the material that is authored, the material that is
delivered to the user agent and the resulting user experience. In the
'traditional' web, there is rough equivalence between these sets of material.
An author creates a 'web page' which is transferred, in its entirety, to a browser and is then rendered. Images and other media complicate this model slightly, but I'll return to them later.

The needs of device independence cause us to need to make distinctions between
the chunks of material that an author creates (authored units), the chunks that are delivered to the device (delivery units) and the material that the end user
perceives (perceivable units).

Why should this be? Well it's all to do with size. Again, I need to use an example. Apologies for favouring visual modalities, but they are the ones with which I'm most familiar. Suppose a site presents a large complex page with lots
of data and function when used on a typical desktop machine. Let's also assume
that this entire page is authored as a single entity. The page is the authored
unit. How can such a page be adapted for use on a small mobile device with a much smaller screen and much lower storage capability than a desktop machine?

One approach is to transform the complete page into a set of smaller pages that
can be delivered sequentially to the device. You could think of this as
transforming the page into an equivalent mini web site. By the way, the nature
of the transformations involved in doing this is the subject of specific work within the DIWG.

The individual portions of the original material are the delivery units. These
are the units in which material is transferred to the device. The final step
involves how the browser interprets the material in the delivery unit. Many
browsers will, of course, render the entire material as a single entity. In this
case, the perceivable unit is the same as the delivery unit. The user can
experience the entire contents of the delivery unit without further navigation.

However, there are also browsers that can interpret the material in the
delivery unit and present it as a series of individual user experiences that
are themselves linked via navigation. These individual user experiences are the perceivable units. In this case, of course, the navigation is entirely
within the device. Mobile phones that support WML are good examples of this behaviour. For these devices, the WML 'deck' corresponds to the delivery unit,
and individual 'cards' correspond to the perceivable units'.

Ok, so where do images and other media fit? Well, these are just other examples
of authored material, as Rotan pointed out. So once again, these are authored
units. My previous example is a bit unrealistic in that large, complex pages are
rarely authored as single units in practice. They tend to be assembled from
a number of authored units, some of which might be shared across many pages.
Toolbars, menus, icons, backgrounds, copyright statements, disclaimers are all
examples of shared entities that might be created as authored units and are
then used by inclusion. Everything else on a particular page or referenced by
it is also composed of one or more authored units.

So just to summarise, DIWG needed a really general term for the bits that
authors create. We decided to call these things authored units. We don't
require them to have any particular structure, though we do believe that they
are examples of web resources. We've used the term fairly extensively in our documents.

I think there is a real distinction between your proposed definition and our
published one that makes them incompatible. I think the distinction is that for
DIWG, an authored unit is a single resource, for WCAG it could be a group of
resources. Like Rotan, I'm using the term resource in the sense of the DI
Glossary (http://www.w3.org/TR/di-gloss/) and HTTP definitions, as something
that is referenced by a URI.

We don't currently have a term for anything that appears to match your proposal.
However, I can see real value in such a definition for DI. For example, your
definition would provide a term for a group of authored units which includes
some markup that defines the rules for selecting different variants of a media
resource together with each of those variants. The variants might include
images of different sizes and types, audio clips and text for use in different
delivery contexts. I can see a real need for a term that names this kind of
coherent set of authored units within DI. Presumably you see a need within WCAG.

So, in summary, I think this is a great definition, but I would urge you to try and find a different term for it. I think it will cause confusion if we use the
same term for different meanings. I'm sure DIWG would be only too happy to help try and find another term for this concept.

Very best wishes

Rhys Lewis, chair DIWG