Re: Review Accessibility Site?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:53:28 -0400, Fentress, Robert <rfentres@vt.edu>
wrote:

> A while back, I developed a site on Section 508 compliance for internal
> use by our developers, and I think my boss might want to make it a
> generally available resource.  If anyone has the time to take a look at
> it and tell me if you notice any glaring mistakes I've made, I'd
> appreciate it:
>

> http://www.iddl.vt.edu/rcd/accessibility/

Some notes:

I don't agree with the characterisation of the relationship between 508
and WCAG - there are a number of people who have looked at this, adn I
don't recall the last time it was discussed in a WAI list. I can look it
up and give you my own humble opinion, or you can look at/for others. But
I think the one you have taken is pretty easily demnstrated to be
incorrect.

http://www.iddl.vt.edu/rcd/accessibility/policy.html could use a more
detailed table of contents, and if you argue that some of the points of
508 are exactly the same as WCAG checkpoints, it would be worth noting
that at each point.

http://www.iddl.vt.edu/rcd/accessibility/policy.html#WCAG1 [[
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines also list Priority 2 and 3
Checkpoints. While the W3C says web content developers must satisfy
Priority 1 Checkpoints, they only say developers should satisfy Priority 2
Checkpoints and may address Priority 3 Checkpoints. Therefore, while not
legally required, these other checkpoints are recommended.
]]

The WCAG isn't a law - its use of "must, should, may" follows common
practice for technical specifications, and is related to the three levels
of conformance. It's got nothing to do with what is a legal requirement.
As an example, 508 doesn't require conformance to WCAG level-A, whereas
European law is being updated in each country to require conformance to
level double-A (that is, you MUST do everything of priority 1 or 2 to meet
the legal requirements of those countries).

http://www.iddl.vt.edu/rcd/accessibility/tools.html - you might want to
link to the massive list of tools at http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/existingtools

It would also be useful to look specifically at tools that can be used for
maintaining information about the status of various sections of the site.

You might want to point at the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines
http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU and consider tools which meet, or meet more of,
those guidelines.

just some quick thoughts.

cheers