From: Loretta Guarino Reid [mailto:lguarino@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 5:40 PM
To: Lee Roberts
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Javascript alternatives not necessary?

Lee, what should we be telling the developers of these new
technologies that they need to do before their techology
doesn't need a text alternative for accessibility? Or will
it always be the case that they need a text alternative?

> While we focus upon things like JavaScript, SVG and
Flash, who says
> that some smart person won't come up with a new
technology?  Each time
> we have a new technology come up we are in the same
position ... it
> won't work on all platforms and in all assistive
technology.
> Therefore, we must have a fallback position.
>
> That fallback position must be an equivalent text
alternative.