RE: Linear reading order

Just a warning: Splitting sentences is almost never a good idea for
translatability. Foreign language syntax makes this at best difficult to
deal with, and very often impossible. (Read more at
http://www.multilingual.com/ishida43.htm )

FWIW, i18n uses a similar approach in its articles for in-margin notes, but
goes to some lengths (using wrapping divs) to ensure that the sidenote is
read at the right place in the flow of text. (This would be easier if there
was better standards support, but it works.) See three examples at
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/inline-bidi-markup/

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C