RE: 2.1 level 3 needs rewording

From: Yvette P. Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:54:45 +0200
To: "'Web Content Guidelines'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Jason suggested an edit which creates the following suggested phrasing:
"All functionality of the content is designed to be operated with a keyboard
or keyboard interface"

I like that.

A major problem with phrasing this SC is that we do not want to give authors
the easy way out by saying their visitors should use mousekeys or some
variant of that. That's why I'm against phrases like "All functionality of
the content can be operated with a keyboard or keyboard interface" even
though this is simpler language. I think the requirement that the
functionality is _designed_ to be operated with a keyboard is strong enough
to make sure authors won't think using mousekeys will satisfy it. Perhaps we
can add a note saying using mousekeys is not the solution.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl