Re: [techs] Re: collapsible hierarchical menu navigation javascript (accessible)

Fentress, Robert wrote:

>>Even so, I'm not sure
>>about your choice to use input elements as list expanders. I would
>>probably recommend anchors.
>
> I did originally use anchors, but changed to image <input> because it
> allows keyboard access to onclick().  Behaviors attached to anchors do
> not (at least not consistently).

Let me expand on that a bit more. Using inputs indicates to screen
readers that the user is in a form and that form input is expected. This
is the same reason you should not use a text area to display scrolling
"terms of use" text. You also have no alt, title, or label on those
inputs. How does a screen reader user know what their clicks are
supposed to do?

As for the onclick event on links, you can get consistent behavior,
though it takes some extra work doubling up the onclick/onkeypress
events, checking for event.keyCode, and making sure the function does
not fire twice. Even with the extra work, I think it's a better solution
than using a form element.

James

--
http://cookiecrook.com/