RE: Issue #832 Clear link text, etc. (action item)

Gregg Vanderheiden writes:

 > Hi Ineke,
 >
 > Actually, James' recommendation does conform to the W3C tip if I read it
 > correctly.
 >
 > At level 3 he says recommend full text (no verb phrase)
 >
 > AT level 1 he says 'must at least have more than verb phrase available
 > programmatically'

So instead of writing <a href="article.html">read more </a>
I can write
read <a href="article.html"> more </a>
and become a good Web citizen satisfying this proposal at level 3!

Perhaps the proposal should instead require "a noun phrase identifying
the destination of the link". Even so, I can still write
read <a href="article.html"> the article </a>
so perhaps we need to resort to stipulating that the text can be
understood out of context. I think most informed evaluators would
agree that the above examples all fail this requirement.

The requirement for programmatic identification could be at level 1 or
level 2. I think Gregg's argument that the user can always read the
context of the link, and hence that this issue is really a level 2
concern, is a strong reason for not placing it at level 1. The
counter-argument (which I don't personally agree with) would be that
someone with both a vision and cognitive disability is thereby
disadvantaged/

We also need to clarify that by "link" we mean a single arc having one
source and one destination, where the user can typically choose
whether or not to follow the link. That is, each arc is a separate
link for purposes of WCAG, and we are not discussing links that are
automatically activated. These stipulations arise from consideration
of the XLink specification.