Re: Proposal for WCAG conformance mechanism.

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:59:34 -0500
To: Tom Croucher <tom.croucher@sunderland.ac.uk>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, michaelc@watchfire.com

Tom and Michael,

Thanks. This is an interesting proposal.

  You identified one issue:
>...there are known challenges (#1:
>is it really ok to make a normative requirement for a process, not a
>state?).

Are there other issues that you are aware of?

I like the idea of looking at the design process rather than just looking
at the outcome.   However, I'm having a hard time imagining how we would
implement it. So, help me out:
1. Do you think it should be a new guideline or success criterion or part
of our conformance scheme or something else?
2. Would the "skeleton model of a QA process for technique development" be
in the guidelines or in the techniques gateway or in technology-specifics
or elsewhere? If in the guidelines, would it be a (using the current
conformance scheme) level 1, level 2 or level 3 requirement?
3. Could you provide examples of statements that might be used to make a
normative requirement for a process?
4. What are examples of statements that would be in a "skeleton model of a
QA process for technique development?"
5. How would we test the process that we define to ensure that following it
creates content that conforms to the success criteria?
6. Is a normative WCAG evaluation process the answer to the needs of
authoring tool/development environment/cms developers trying to implement
ATAG?
7. How would policy makers react to a normative evaluation process?
8. Previously, we've thought about creating decision trees instead of or in
addition to technology-specifics checklists.  Is this proposal similar but
not technology-specific?

Thanks,
--wendy

--