From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of lisa seeman
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 10:52 AM
To: 'WAI GL (E-mail)'
Subject: [techs] granularity and testing...

some issues I said I would write up and send to the list

1, granularity of tests and techniques

a guideline tends to say something general but accurate - like  design
for device independences
a technique tells you how to do that and what to do in a given scenario

BUT for some checkpoints and guidelines there can be many  scenario and
I think we want to discuses the granularity of the tests and

My favorite is the old HTML ALt attribute

you can say soming less helpful and make the scenario general -like :

"for pictures - fill in the alt tag with all the text and information
and descriptions in the picture that the user may need or want"

or , you can make it more granular like: "for pictures - fill in the alt
tag with all the text and information in the picture. if there is no
text or information the describe the picture . An image used for
background or spaces can have an empty alt attribute."

or you can go for as many detailed scenarios as we can , like:

for an image inside a link -(e.g. one that reads "about us") make sure
that the user knows the destination of the link
for an image inside a link with extra information (e.g. "10% off at
laptops.com) make sure the user knows the destination of the link and
all the extra information
for an image that acts as plain  bullet - use a * inside the alt
attribute
for an image that acts as  bullet that implies extra information (like a
tick, or the letter N for "new"- use a * inside the alt attribute and
all the extra information implied by the bullet
for an image that provides background a blank alt attribute is most
useful
for an image that provides a message or information...provide all the
meeting and information in the image
for an image that does not provide meeting or information - describe the
image
ect etc...

All the best

Lisa Seeman

Visit us at the UB  <http://www.ubaccess.com/> Access website

UB Access - Moving internet accessibility