re: Exceptions in guideline formulations (non-urgent)

From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:00:11 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
To: "'Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>;
<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 8:55 PM
Subject: RE: Exceptions in guideline formulations (non-urgent)

>Respectfully, I disagree with you. I strongly feel we need to keep the
>guidelines simple and leave the exceptions to the success criteria.

I agree with you but need to be clarify what is a "text equivalent". For
me, text equivalent is, for eg, an "alt" attribute, not an empty tag.
Remember that is different to have alt=" " and alt=""... second one is
empty, first one is a blank space...

>As I see it, an empty string is a text equivalent too. So yes, I would
>require a decorative image to have a text equivalent: "". I do agree
with
>you that we need to make this clearer than it is in the current
formulation
>of the SC.

Empty string is not a text equivalent... if it is "empty" it don't
contain nothing :)