RE: Consistency of Principles

I like this.  clean and simple.

________________________________

From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Gregg Vanderheiden
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:30 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Consistency of Principles

In looking at the guidelines, we have the first principle listed as
"Content must be perceivable".

However the second principle is:

1.	Operable.  Ensure that the interface elements in the content are
operable by any user.

Items 3 and 4 then also have long texts like this.

I suggest that these be made consistent in form.  I suggest that we try
the following.

1.	Content must be perceivable.
2.	Interface elements in the content must be operable.
3.	Content and controls must be understandable.
4.	Content should be robust enough to work with current and future
technologies.

Within these sentences we might bold and/or italicize the words
perceivable, operable, understandable, and robust.

Remember that these are no longer the guidelines; these are basic
principles for web being accessible and usable.  These principles apply
to all users and in these guidelines we go on to explain that these
guidelines ensure that these universal statements are true for people
with disabilities (or at least as many people with disabilities as
possible).

We need to make them consistent and I think it's better to make them
short and clear rather than using the longer version we currently have,
which are currently worded as directives rather than principles.

Comments?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
<http://trace.wisc.edu/ <http://trace.wisc.edu/> > FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/