RE: Question on <abbr /> element use

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:52:16 +0100 (MET)
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi Yvette,

> [...] that for print it would be ok to just include one
> explanation per document.

of course, since it would be really annoying encountering hundred
explanations of the same abbreviation ;)

> But since WCAG advises to explain the meaning of every
> abbreviation, this won't work because you can't select the first
> occurrence of an abbreviation from CSS (yet).

Yes, only with ugly wrenches, e.g. via

    abbr[title='World Wide Web Consortium']:first-child:after,
    abbr[title='Web Accessibility Initiative']:first-child:after { }

I think about bringing in a proposal to solve this problem, if there ain't
any.

Best regards,
 Jens.

--