RE: Question on <abbr /> element use

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:26:08 +0100 (MET)
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi Yvette,

> How would you define the first time an abbrev occurs? The first time on a
> page? [...]

exactly.

> [...] This means we advise to always use the ABBR
> element to explain the meaning of abbreviations, even if they appear more
> than once on a single page.

Well, a quite reasonable argumentation. Is this also recommended for other
media, e.g. when I print these documents? -- Another problem I see here is if
there are many abbrevations on a page, ain't it regarded rather irritating
for impaired users (since they might be confused by many expanded short forms)?
Wouldn't it be a 'discharge' for them to pass on redundant explanations?

Best regards,
 Jens.

--
Jens Meiert