Re: CSS Accessibility Analyzer

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:05:58 +0100 (MET)
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> http://www.juicystudio.com/permarchive.asp?pageInfo=193

Well, nice thing...!

> and if there are some suggestion we can implement them. [...]

Some remarks:

Absolute units -- I don't think absolutely defined values are harmful per
se. Does a fixed margin or padding decrease accessibility? I don't think so,
and I propose to soften the criteria used there (it should be easy to define
e.g. 'font-size' exceptions).

Relative units -- Why does the validator extend declarations like
'font-style: normal;' or 'font-weight: 400' with the sentence 'Relative unit of
measurement'?

Foreground and background colors -- Is it necessary to show a warning each
time only one of both properties is set? I a) remember the W3C CSS validator
which showed similar warnings, but now passes on them (CMIIW), and b) often
see developers who define (semi-) global background-colors and area/element
specific foreground colors.

Last but not least, the icon assignment ain't useful and usable. It might be
better to show each icon before the CSS selector it belongs to, or (better)
before its information text.

Best regards,
 Jens.

--