Re: Conformance-logos

From: Ineke van der Maat <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:26:09 +0100
To: "Eric Velleman" <E.Velleman@bartimeus.nl>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your mail.

You wrote:
>Using the A, AA or AAA logo means more than just being accessible to
>people with visual disabilities. It is also more accessible to
>else and to people with other disabilities.

Of course I know what the logos really mean. But not most persons
outside the accessibilityscene and these are still always more than in

Writing such a text below the logo opens a door for  much other
(commercial)  slogans. I even can write below it "accessible for people
who can use the mouce with their left hand" or 'accessible for people
who can use a keyboard" I think that this, just like misguiding
advertisement must be forbidden.

I never talk about accessibility is a business case, but always about
accessibility must be as usual as bread. Simply because everybody has
the right to visit a site to get the information/products she/he wants.

The Canadian magazine Adbusters has a  very nice action: "know the
media, change the media, be the media." This is also very valid for the
internet and an accessible site makes it  certainly more true.