RE: simple language testable thing

From: Yvette P. Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:25:59 +0100
To: "'lisa seeman'" <seeman@netvision.net.il>, "'W3c-Wai-Gl@W3.Org'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Lisa Seeman:
	Hear is an obvious and useful one (especially for non English sites)
	Provide translations for any text not written in the natural
language of the page

Yikes! That would be amazingly difficult in languages such as Dutch that use
a _lot_ of foreign words. See the article I wrote about examples of language
changes in websites:
available at http://www.heritas.nl/wcag/language.html

What _is_ a foreign word? Take the examples:
1. A word that has been in the language for so long it can be found in all
the dictionaries ('manager' in Dutch)
2. A word that has been in the language for a while, and can be found in the
extended version of a dictionary, but not in the pocket editions ('award' in
3. A mixed word like 'shoppen' where a foreign word (shop) has been made
into a verb in the native language ('shoppen' in Dutch), and isn't in any
4. A word or phrase that is used from the foreign language ('quick links')

In my opinion, examples 2 and 4 can be called foreign and would need
translations according to Lisa's suggested guideline. But it's a grey area,
you can just as easily argue that example 2 isn't foreign anymore. It's
definitely NOT simply applicable.

If we require something like what Lisa suggested, we might have to make it
level 3 because it is asking quite a lot for a language like Dutch and would
prevent a lot of people from aspiring to reach level 2.

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl