Re: BBC headline: Web opens up for learning disabled

Wendy,

well spotted: http://www.widgit.com/products/webwise/browser.htm
is the product, as you will recognise this meets some of the needs I
have been advocating at WAI for about 6 years.
This is an exciting development for a proprietary product.

Unfortunately it does little for authors or authoring tools, it would
be great if WCAG could take some of this on board.

Because this is not an open source or royalty free product there are
significant issues regarding authoring.

Users have rather restricted possibilities, for instance it will be
interesting to see how it works with this companies own web authoring
product which creates pages as one large image, though more recent
publications save a whole line of text and symbols, or change the name
of the symbol all this is to protect their copyright on individual
symbols.

example pages:
whole page			http://www.moorcroft.hillingdon.sch.uk/recipes.htm#Turkey
single
lines			http://www.widgit.com/rainforest/html/topic_3/topic3-1.htm   pc
only scripting issue raised with widgit
renamed
graphics	http://www.symbolworld.org/learning/science-nature/birds/
birds1.htm

There are significant advantages to using royalty free images,
unfortunately they are also expensive to create, and royalties provide
a steady source of income. It would certainly be encouraging to see
work start on a w3c or other open source graphical browser and royalty
free svg symbol graphics set.

Navigation across the web, as well as within a site, plain english
summaries and much more all continue to need addressing.

thanks

Jonathan

On Monday, January 12, 2004, at 05:26  am, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> Story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3379547.stm
>
> "The system, called Communicate Webwise, automatically turns
> information on pages into symbols or plain text.
>
> The developer, Widgit Software, says it can process most web pages,
> except those containing complicated java or flash components. "
>
> More about Webwise from the Widgit Software site:
> http://www.widgit.com/products/webwise/browser.htm
>
> I will contact them for more information.
> --w
>
> --
> wendy a chisholm
> world wide web consortium