Re: 1.4 text in the content is provided in Unicode or sufficient information is provided so that it can be automatically mapped back to Unicode. [X]

Lisa wrote:
>With BI- directional languages (like Hebrew and Arabic) The Unicode
>mapping of each letter is not enough. You also need to know the
>direction or flow of the letters to be able to decode unambiguously

If I read it correctly, the HTML spec [1] says that if the language is
specified the characters should be appropriately mapped to Unicode (and
thus displayed properly) unless languages are mixed together or there is
some other reason to override the bidirectional algorithm.  In the mixed
case, providing additional information (such as using the dir or bdo
attribute in html) is "sufficient information so that [information] can be
automatically mapped back to unicode" and satisfies this concern, right?

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#adef-dir>

>For example
>
>A page written using a visual architecture. -The logical flow of the
>letters is backwards.

Nir Dagan writes about visual versus logical coding of Hebrew [2].  He
suggests providing the content both visually and logically (visually for
backwards-compatibility and logically for bidi-capable browsers).

[2] Logical or visual? A practical approach to Hebrew content providing
<http://www.nirdagan.com/hebrew/compare>

>Or, in another example, Imagine Right to left text with a phone number
>in the middle.
>
>Numbers work left to right, but a phone number can be have a hyphen in
>the middle which, as it is NOT a number, will be read as right to left -
>inverting the different half of the number with the second half of the
>number......

Assuming that the text is marked as Hebrew or "right-to-left" (either with
the lang attribute or dir attribute on a parent element) and the phone
number is marked "left-to-right" (either with a lang attribute of a
left-to-right language or using dir="ltr"), then the phone number should be
presented in the correct direction.

How well do browsers and assistive technologies support lang
attribute?  dir attribute? bidirectional algorithm?
Nir Dagan documents support of charset, bidi algorithm, character encoding
in Explorer 5.0, Tango 3.3.1, Lynx 2.7.2 and 2.8.1, Netscape 4.51, and
Opera 3.51
<http://www.nirdagan.com/hebrew/review>

Related resources:
1.  Alan Wood's Unicode Resources - Test for Unicode support in Web
browsers <http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/hebrew.html>
2. Nir Dagan's Standards for Hebrew on the Web - Characters, character
encodings, and character
references  <http://www.nirdagan.com/hebrew/standards> linked from "Hebrew
on the Web" <http://www.nirdagan.com/hebrew/>
3. Unicode FAQ (I was hoping to find more Hebrew-specific questions and
answers) <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/>
4. Unicode Standard Annex #9 - The Bidirectional Algorithm
<http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr9/>

Therefore, I think that the guideline (as written) handles the issue
appropriately.  I think in techniques we ought to highlight visual versus
logical coding and link to Nir's essay as well as provide examples of using
bdo and dir (or at least link to examples in an external resource).

Lisa, if you disagree that the Guideline handles the issues you have
raised, please propose a specific change to the Guideline that you would
like to discuss.

Thank you,
--wendy

--