WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria for HTML techniques

This document shows WCAG guidelines for the HTML techniques.

HTML Technique Guideline Notes
Uncategorized techniques
1.1: Use of the title attribute    
1.2: Meta redirect  
1.3: Meta refresh  
Metadata
2.1: The title element. Technique should be at least level 2.
2.2: The address element   Is this technique needed?
2.3: The !doctype statement   There should be a success criterion under 4.1 that the machine language of the content can be unambiguously and automatically determined.
2.4: The link element and navigation tools  
2.5: The link element and alternative documents   Do we want any guidelines about alternative resources being acceptable ways to claim conformance, or are we explicitly avoiding that? If so, perhaps we should have a guideline saying that?
Structural Grouping
3.1: Section headings  
3.2: Style headers  
Language
4.1: Identifying the primary language  
4.2: Identifying changes in language  
Text Markup
5.1: Emphasis  
5.2: Abbreviations Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
5.3: Acronym Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
5.4: Short Quotations (future) Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
5.5: Long Quotations Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
5.6: Misuse of blockquote Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
5.7: Markup and style sheets rather than images: The example of math  
5.8: Eight other structural elements (to identify citations, code fragments, deleted text, and others) Unsure if this needs to be Level 1.
Lists
6.1: Ordered lists  
6.2: Use style sheets to change list bullets   Somehow we need a hook for techniques like this, even though it's just an expansion of the "use markup properly" requirement. We could map to that guideline, but not sure if that's the intent.
Data Tables
7.1: The caption element Not sure if caption is a structure, but at least it's like a header, so I mapped it here.
7.2: The title attribute on the table element   The title attribute (with the exception of link titles) is a mess, I really don't see how it maps to any guidelines, and am not sure what guideline I would propose to map it to. But we need something to deal with this, we have to have title techniques (even if they are "don't use this, it's too confusing") or there will be a real mess out there.
7.3: Summarizing tables   We definately need a success criterion for this. Since this technique is about describing structure, rather than providing structure in markup, I didn't think it belonged with the existing structure guidelines.
7.4: Terse substitutes for header labels   This particular HTML feature has always annoyed me. It's the reverse of the <abbr> element. But if we want this technique, we'll need a success criterion that says "provide a contraction for long things" to complement the one that says "provide an expansion for short things".
7.5: Identifying groups of rows  
7.6: Identifying groups of columns  
7.7: Specifying the set of data cells for which each header cell provides header information.  
7.8: Associating header cells with data cells.  
7.9: Categorizing data cells.  
7.10: Misuse of the pre element.  
7.11: Row and column headings.  
Tables for layout
8.1: Table elements allowed in layout tables  
8.2: Summaries of layout tables   This technique basically says "don't annoy screen reader users with frivolous summaries like 'this is a layout table'". We need a success criterion for things like that, I think. Something like "the road to inaccessibility is paved with good intentions."
8.3: Linear reading order of tables This was the best place I could think to map this technique, but I think it should be level 1.
Links
9.1: Supplement link text with the title attribute.  
9.2: Text for images used as links  
9.3: Image and text links side by side  
9.4: Link Groups  
9.5: tabindex to skip link groups (future)  
9.6: Skipping Link Groups  
9.7: Hide link groups  
9.8: Keyboard access  
9.9: Anchors and targets  
9.10: Using FRAME targets (deprecated)  
Images
10.1: Short text equivalents for img elements ("alt-text")  
10.2: Image titles   Another title technique. Though this one says "don't use them because they confuse things".
10.3: Short text equivalents for object elements ("alt-text")  
10.4: Long descriptions of images  
10.5: Long description of objects  
10.6: D links (deprecated)  
10.7: Describe images without longdesc  
10.8: ASCII art  
10.9: Emoticons   I didn't see any good success criterion for emoticons and other text abuses.
Image Maps
11.1: Use Client Side Image Map  
11.2: Provide text links for server side image maps.  
11.3: Provide redundant text links for client side image map.  
11.4: Provide alt for area.  
Programmatic objects and applets
12.1: Text and non-text equivalents for applets and programmatic objects  
12.2: Alt content for embed  
12.3: Alt text for embed  
12.4: Embedding multimedia objects  
Frames
13.1: Providing a frame title There didn't seem to be success criteria for FRAMEs, but it's pretty clearly related to this guideline.
13.2: Describing frame relationships (deprecated) There didn't seem to be success criteria for FRAMEs, but it's pretty clearly related to this guideline.
13.3: Writing for browsers that do not support FRAME  
13.4: Frame sources  
13.5: Descriptive links for inaccessible frame source.  
13.6: Alternative content for iframe  
13.7: Longdesc for iframe  
Forms
14.1: Explicit form labels   I didn't see any guidelines or success criteria about forms.
14.2: Implicit labels for form controls (deprecated)   I didn't see any guidelines or success criteria about forms.
14.3: The title attribute to label form controls.   I didn't see any guidelines or success criteria about forms.
14.4: Grouping form controls   I didn't see any guidelines or success criteria about forms.
14.5: Grouping options of select elements   I didn't see any guidelines or success criteria about forms.
14.6: Tab order in forms  
14.7: Text equivalents for submit buttons  
14.8: Place-holding characters in empty controls (deprecated)    
Script techniques
15.1: Keyboard shortcuts for directly accessible scripts.  
15.2: Device independent event handlers