RE: Top-Posting And Guideline 3.1

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:46:22 -0500
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG [mailto:rscano@iwa-italy.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 9:32 am
To: Chris Ridpath; John M Slatin; Joe Clark; WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Top-Posting And Guideline 3.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>; "Joe Clark"
<joeclark@joeclark.org>; "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 4:09 PM

> So let's all just write as clearly as we can and get back to worrying
> about *Web* content instead of email.

I believe that email is web content. Our messages are archived and
served up as HTML pages so how can they be otherwise?

The guidelines speak of "all web content" and I don't recall seeing a
list of exclusions.

Roberto Scano:
Hi Chris, u have take the same words that I wanna use :)
We must remember the definition fo web content, that is not only web
pages.

Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG)
--
OK, but then this brings us back to a point Andy Snow-Weaver raised
about email lists and about the WAI archiving software in particular:

But if I decide to use my mail client instead, then in some
configurations that client pushes me toward top-posting: if, for
example, I tell Outlook to include my signature  in replies and forwards
(as I had been doing until recently), it sets up the reply as a top-post
and doesn't give me any options that I'm aware of to place the signature
differently.

So now we're into ATAG...

John