Re: Table: Title in lieu of Caption

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:03:28 -0400
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Greg wrote:
   Lets be very careful that we are not writing to the current batch of user agents (including AT).   They have many quirks as well as good features.
Any concern with  what I suggested? ... about  title on table being used for  caption when author does not want a visible caption? Also see separate mail on increasing scope of title for accessibility. Title is  supported on almost all html elements so why not expand its usage to benefit accessibility?
I have looked at current browsers and AT and am suggesting  enhanced support.
Sailesh Panchang
Senior Accessibility Engineer
Deque Systems,11180  Sunrise Valley Drive,
4th Floor, Reston VA 20191
Tel: 703-225-0380 Extension 105
E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Fax: 703-225-0387