Re: Table: Title in lieu of Caption

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:03:28 -0400
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Greg wrote:
   Lets be very careful that we are not writing to the current batch of user agents (including AT).   They have many quirks as well as good features.
Sailesh:
Any concern with  what I suggested? ... about  title on table being used for  caption when author does not want a visible caption? Also see separate mail on increasing scope of title for accessibility. Title is  supported on almost all html elements so why not expand its usage to benefit accessibility?
I have looked at current browsers and AT and am suggesting  enhanced support.
Sailesh Panchang
Senior Accessibility Engineer
Deque Systems,11180  Sunrise Valley Drive,
4th Floor, Reston VA 20191
Tel: 703-225-0380 Extension 105
E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Fax: 703-225-0387