RE: Example of multiple skip links

From: Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:11:38 -0500
To: "'Joe Clark'" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Joe Clark pointed out that http://mezzoblue.com/ has a small skip link list
(a table of contents) at the top of the page:

      * [4]Skip to Navigation
      * [5]Skip to Style Switcher
      * [6]Skip to Sidebar

This example is very different from any I have seen - both in terms of the
way he makes the links visible (especially in Mozilla) and in terms of the
way he codes the in-page anchors.

In all four cases, the target of the link is not an anchor; for 3,5 and 6
the target is a <div> with an ID and the corresponding href is that ID. In
the case of [4] the target us a <UL> again with an ID.

In IE6 the skips 3 and 5 work with the keyboard and 4 does not. I am not
even sure whether or not 6 works (Remember, "work" means tab to the skip,
then enter, then tab again and see if input focus is where it should be.

In Opera none of the skip links work.

In Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla 7.1 the first three skips work and the last one
does not.

Is it valid HTML to have an anchor with href which is the ID of a <div>?

Jim
Accessibility, What Not to do: http://jimthatcher.com/whatnot.htm.
Web Accessibility Tutorial: http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm.