RE: Links lists, tabbing through links, and user agents (was [#832] Clear link text - priority and acceptability of supplemental text)

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:47:09 -0500
To: "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Clark
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 1:13 pm
To: WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Links lists, tabbing through links, and user agents (was
[#832] Clear link text - priority and acceptability of supplemental
text)

> Joe Clark has asserted [1] that the links list is a "proprietary"
> feature of the JAWS screen reader, and therefore should not factor
> into the Working Group's consideration of requirements for link text.

I asserted that exactly one software application that the Working Group
favours had that feature, so the Working Group wants it imposed
everywhere. It's grand that other software does it, too-- but it is
absurd
in the extreme to *force authors to write pages that make sense in the
authors' intended reading order and when remixed by some machine*.

OK, I'll bite. What would you say is the "intended reading order" of
http://www.cnn.com? What is the "intended reading order" of
http://www.utexas.edu? Or of
http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/viewHigh.asp?dep=17&viewmode=0?
And how does one determine the "intended reading order"?

With this message, I start using my new buzzword in earnest: Why does
the Working Group hate the Web?

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post