Re: Links lists, tabbing through links, and user agents (was [#832] Clear link text - priority and acceptability of supplemental text)

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:13:04 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Joe Clark has asserted [1] that the links list is a "proprietary"
> feature of the JAWS screen reader, and therefore should not factor into
> the Working Group's consideration of requirements for link text.

I asserted that exactly one software application that the Working Group
favours had that feature, so the Working Group wants it imposed
everywhere. It's grand that other software does it, too-- but it is absurd
in the extreme to *force authors to write pages that make sense in the
authors' intended reading order and when remixed by some machine*.

With this message, I start using my new buzzword in earnest:
Why does the Working Group hate the Web?

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post