suggestions on a different implementation for access keys

Hi Becky,
Where as I agree whole heartedly with the direction, I would suggest the
following changes to the implementations

Suggestion 1 -the tag name
The tag name should be more semantic descriptive of what the content is,
just one form of possible usage.

I would suggest something more descriptive the the term "access"- such
as role, or  type. Swap uses the term  ContentType . Then it is more
likely to be used by people who don't care about accessibility, but want
to use it for a different application, such as what Microsoft are doing
for RSS feeds on a page. If people are using it for different
applications and provide state of the art accessibility as a by product
- that is a big win in my book.

Suggestion 2 - forget the list of types

Yes there are types missed out, but more to the point there always will
be, That is why  this should be done to be programmatically extendible
in a meaningful way. (One of the advantages in being dyslexic is I
anticipate making mistakes :)

<jargon summary = "we can do this">

The way we are handling this is to  describe the cases or types of
content in RDF, and make programmatically explicit the relationship
between different classes and types of content.

In making a description for each type obligatory (using OWL) we allow
for anyone to access - in plain English (or French Spanish, Dutch...)
-what the content type is meant to represent.

</jargon>

It is just as easy for the content provider to use in the XHTML.
<jargon> They simply reference the type of content  using a  Qname
</jargon>

the author would simply write:

ContentType="UB:siteMap"

which is not so much harder then saying

access="sitemap"

Content authors do not need to know how the types are encapsulated.

However special verticals or communities can have there own, derived
content types. Such as for educational content may have :
tutor, help, glossary, back, up, next

If the user agent is only familiar with the base classes, then it can
handle a derived class the same way it would handle it's parent. However
educational tools would have a special features for a derived schema
created by the IMS educational content consortium.

Another example would be Web Blogers. I actually am not a blogger and
have no idea of the conventions of this community,  but let us assume
that as net cultures spring up they have there own anticipated web
content types

Some hack can derive them, (not to mention any names -Matt) and everyone
can use them.

I think I sent Rich a sample schema a week or two ago, so you can have a
look at it.

Keep well

Lisa Seeman