RE: [#655 TECH} When should link element be used to describe document navigation?

From: Ben Caldwell <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:06:37 -0500
To: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>, "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Becky wrote:

>I would suggest including the link element for any content that has a
>previous / next navigation pattern.   This could be something as formal
>as chapters in a book or it could be pages of search results or to
>represent any logical page by page (or screen by screen or resource by
>resource depending upon your choice of terminology) flow through a site.
>Adding a link to the site home page and site index page (if it exists)
>would also be useful.

I agree. Seems to fit best with the second level 2 success criterion under
guideline 2.4 [1], though given the user-agent issues you've mentioned, we
may want to consider identifying this as a future technique.

Anyone care to draft and submit a technique [2]?

-Ben

[1]
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20040602.html#navigation-mechan
isms-minimum-structure>