Re: [#829] Linear reading order should be level 1

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:50:24 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The Web is hypertext. Why is the Working Group obsessed with neutering the
central characteristic that sets it apart from print?

> I agree with Michael. Without guarantee of linearization of the
> contents, how can we assure to people that use screen readers to
> understand the contents?

By reading whatever portion they want in whatever order they want-- either
the suggested order of the page layout and its information architecture or
whatever else. Why do you still think screen-reader users are receiving
page content one item at a time, like bubble tea drawn through a straw?

I would be very interested to read of an airtight case of content that
must always be linearized or lineariz*able*.. The Working Group has this
obsession with defying the true nature of the Web and the WG's own
guidelines-- requiring valid semantic markup, but also requiring headings
and links to be spontaneously remixable and just as understandable as they
were in the author's intended presentation; turning off hypertext
completely and ignoring the entire concept of hierarchies of information
by insisting that Web sites become a kind of IV drip.

These days I've been toying with a new catchphrase adapted from the
warbloggers: "Why do they hate the Web so?" I might start using that one.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post