From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of John M Slatin
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 10:15 AM
To: jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au; Web Content Guidelines
Subject: RE: 1.1 suggestion

08 June 2004 rewrite of guideline 1.1

Here's yet another rewrite of Guideline 1.1.  It addresses some comments
by Jaso:
1.	Changes "text alternatives" (in the Guideline itself) to
"equivalent alternatives."  This is consistent with WCAG 1.0 Guideline
1, so it takes advantage of people's familiarity with the term there.
It also  clears up a problem with the success criterion about null alt (
because it no longer treats the empty alt attribute as a *text*
alternative.
2.	Deletes the phrase "through context or markup" from L1 SC 1.  I
had written "Text alternatives are associated with non-text content
through context or markup," and Jason had suggested adding "or a data
model" to cover cases where content is produced without using markup
languages and for consistency with 1.3.  But I think it might be cleaner
to avoid specifying *how* alternatives are associated with non-text
content-that belongs in techniques.

I like Mike's idea that the material about syndicated content belongs in
the conformance section rather than the guidelines, but haven't tried to
wordsmith that material; I've just omitted it.

Mike advocates putting the requirement to synchronize equivalents for
multimedia uner 1.1.  This has logical appeal: multimedia is non-text
content, so could well be covered under 1.1.  But we still have a whole
mess of issues related to multimedia, and I would suggest that that we
consider them under their present heading-under Guideline 1.2.  Once we
get that worked out, we can consider moving the success criteria to 1.1.

Meanwhile, here's my latest proposal for 1.1:

<08 June 2004 proposed wording for Guideline 1.1>
Guideline 1.1
Provide equivalent alternatives for all non-text content.

Level 1 success criteria for Guideline 1.1
1.	Text alternatives are explicitly associated with non-text
content, and one of the following is true:.
a.	For non-text content that is functional, such as graphical links
or buttons, text alternatives identify the purpose or function of the
non-text content; or,
b.	for non-text content that is used to convey information, text
alternatives convey the same information; or,
c.	for non-text content that is intended to create a specific
sensory experience, such as music or visual art, text alternatives
identify and describe the non-text content.
2.	Non-text content that does not provide information or
functionality  can be bypassed by assistive technology.
3.

Level 2 success criteria for Guideline 1.1
1.	Text alternatives can be accessed without an extreme  change of
context.

Level 3 success criteria for Guideline 1.1
1.	For multimedia content, a text document is provided that
includes descriptions of all important visual information as well as
transcripts of dialogue and other important sounds.

</08 June 2004 proposed wording for guideline 1.1>

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute