RE: [techs] Acronyms and abbreviations

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:17:49 +0200 (MEST)
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, michaelc@watchfire.com
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> In principle, I agree that every occurrence of an acronym or
> abbreviation should be tagged with the appropriate element.
> In practice, however, what ends up happening is that people
> using screen readers/talking browsers never actually hear the
> acronym or abbreviation [...]

Sounds like a draw anyway, doesn't it? What should we do and recommend now,
is there the need to update the corresponding GL items? -- I really
challenge this issue since I just had this discussion occupationally
(again), and there are of course benefits as well as problems linked with
it, as also pointed out by both of you.

Jens Meiert
Interface Architect (IxD)