Re: Issue 556 and 669

From: Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:21:25 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

These success criteria, like the ones in the March11th working draft, mean
that a simple text document would not conform to Level 1 of WCAG 2.0 - this
mailing list being an example of something that would not conform.

Is this what we really want?

Certainly having paragraphs, headings, and lists able to be
programmatically derived makes a document more usable but omitting them
does not make them not accessible. It should not be a Level 1 requirement
that headings, paragraphs, and lists be able to be programmatically
derived.

I propose the following rewording for success criteria Level 1, # 1.

1. "Table structure and labels for interactive elements can be derived
programmatically (for example, through a markup or data model)"

I would propose adding the proposed Level 1 #1 success criteria to Level 2:

2. "Structures and relationships of the content can be derived
programmatically (for example, through a markup or data model)"

I also have a question about the proposed success criteria # 2
2. "Differentitation of content to imply additional meaning or stress, such
as
the types of emphasis commonly denoted by bold or italics, can be dervived
programmatically."

Unless the text is in an image, is it even possible to render it in bold or
italics without some kind of programmatic information? If it's not
possible, then this success criteria should be removed unless we mean to
prohibit bold text in images.

Andi
andisnow@us.ibm.com
IBM Accessibility Center