RE: Action Item: Additional Examples Guideline 2.5 (user error)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Gian Sampson-Wild (PurpleTop) wrote:

> <gian>
> - how about a level 1 success criteria is to provide a "Reset" button -
> so users can easily correct and mistakes
> </gian>
This could be at level 2, but not at level 1 because it would constrain
the user interface, contrary to the definition of level 1.

Level 1 could say something like: It must be possible for all input data
to be cleared by the user agent, prior to the activation of an application
function that processes the data. This isn't good wording.

> <snip>
>  Level 3 Success Criteria for Guideline 2.5
> 1.         Where the input options are known, there are less than 75 of
> them, and they can be provided without jeopardizing security, test
> validity, etc, users are allowed to select from a list of options as
> well as to enter text directly.
> </snip>
> <gian>
> - Is 75 an arbitrary number?  What about those fields that specify
> Country (such as: http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/) or very complex
> forms (such as:
> http://www.microsoft.com/Usability/enrollment.htm)</gian>
> </gian>

How to do better than arbitrary numbers while making the requirement
precise? There will almost certainly be exceptions to whatever we specify
here. > <snip>
> <gian>
> Suggested rewrite:
> If a user error is detected, suggestions for correction are provided in
> an accessible manner, where:
> - valid entries are known
> - security is not jeopardised
> - purpose is not undermined
>  </gian>
What does "accessible manner" mean? Which other guidelines/success
criteria apply here? Can we state it in terms of satisfying other