Re: Bug 774 - Alternatives for word 'page'

Hello Yvette and All -

By no means will I be a hold out but I do have some concerns about the word
page and its possible replacement (resource or whatever we come up with in
the end).

In your definition, large resource was defined as: ³large resource: Web
resources can either be perceived as a single document or as a document
collection. A resource is considered large when it contains more than 50,000
words for a single document or over 50 documents for a document collection².

When I think of documents, I think of a single resource only, especially if
we¹re using the word resource to replace the present word  ³page².    In my
mind, 50 documents as per above would be 50 resources.  Could a resource be
considered large if it contained limited words (or none) and a huge file (a
video clip, for example)?

If URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) is a specific address for the location
of a resource, isn¹t the resource then the last ³thing² in the address
string.  For example: http://www.sesa.org/blah/blah2/blah3/etc.html where
etc.html would be the resource or page.

I see a series of documents being the same as a series of resources.  My
question is ­ is a single resource the same as a single document?  Is there
any difference?  By all means, I am really confused now.

I did run some of your new wording by one of my colleagues (it was given out
of context, by the way) and he fully understood the older wording which used
page but was puzzled by the word resource.  He explained and I believe
rightfully so, all of his web development manuals and third party reference
materials make use of the word page or document.

Like I said, this is by no means a make it or break it issue for me but an
issue that I feel will be confusing to others.  Let¹s face it, a huge
percentage of web authors will be/are using web authoring tools right out of
the box and they have no clue about the ³stuff² under the hood.  If we
change our terminology, we need to be sure that the same is being looked at
from the authoring tools perspective.

My thoughts ­ thank you for all of you hard work.